About IDFA's training programs
A renowned launchpad within the international documentary industry, IDFA offers up-and-coming filmmakers year-round training programs for creative and professional development. Whether you’re looking to elevate your project, gain industry insight, expand your network, or take the first steps on a new film plan, our programs support you through a carefully developed curriculum of mentorship, inspiration, and learning.
IDFAcademy is an intensive training program that equips emerging filmmakers with knowledge of the international documentary industry.
- Open to first- or second-time documentary directors and producers
- Takes place in-person during IDFA 2023 from November 9 to 11
- Applications open June 1 and close August 1, 2023
IDFA Project Space
This in-depth, tailored program offers emerging filmmakers inspiration and mentorship to take their documentary projects to the next level.
- Open to first- or second-time documentary directors and their sparring partner (creative producer, co-director, or editor).
- Takes place online and in-person from June to September 2023.
- Applications closed on February 24, 2023 and will open again in the beginning of next year.
IDFA Project Space NL
Supported by the NPO Fund, IDFA Project Space NL professionally guides local talent to develop a film plan with accompanying visual material.
- Open to Dutch-speaking directors with at least one (short) film to their name.
- Takes place in-person from July to November (during IDFA 2023).
- Applications closed on May 12, 2023 and will open again in April 2024.
Film Student Route
During the festival, IDFA offers a tailor-made program of films and talks in collaboration with the Netherlands Film Academy.
- Open to students of film academies and film schools.
- Takes place in person from November 9 to 16 (during IDFA 2023).
- Applications open from May 1 to September 1, 2023.
Young Producers Program
Young Producers brings producers coming up in the Dutch film industry into contact with IDFAcademy, IDFA Forum, and IDFA’s Industry Program. The program takes place during the festival in collaboration with the Netherlands Film Fund.
- Open to Dutch-speaking producers with:
- proven experience as a documentary producer or executive producer
- international ambitions
- a project in development suitable for international collaboration or distribution
- Takes place from November 9 to 15, 2023.
- Application date to be announced.
The 3Package Deal consists of a paid one-year residency for a filmmaker or interactive artist. The program is initiated by the the Amsterdam Fund for the Arts (AFK), and is co-presented by IDFA, EYE Film Institute, and the Netherlands Film Academy as part of The Film Coalition.
- Open to talented young artists.
- Takes place from January 1 to December 31 each year.
- Application and selection is by invitation.